Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Descriptive Paper

 

7, April 2014

My Horse Ride
My wild and crazy family is taking our horses on a primitive campout and trail ride. The hectic crew runs about to get the things ready for the camping trip. Then we have long, lively, and entertaining car ride that is fun to get there. We organize the campsite, so we can ride first thing in the morning. After a goodnights sleep, we awake to a beautiful day for a trail ride. The trail ride takes us over steep terrine and deep rivers. Let us start the packing, so we can go on a fun journey.

The bright light shows through my Aunt Lissa's house. My cousin Larry is sprawled out on the floor. I am warm and cozy in the multiple blankets on the white recline chair. My Uncle Kevin comes out from the bedroom in his blue ripped jeans. He asks me if I am excited to go camping. I cannot wait. The room is getting brighter as the sun starts to rise and fill the room with all the brilliant colors. The house slowly starts to wake up and everyone is excited to go camping. After we eat the mouth-watering doughnuts, I lick my fingers of the thick, sticky, pure sugar icing; it was delicious and filling to eat. My Aunt starts shooting out orders, for things we need to do before we leave for Winona, Missouri campgrounds. I am hard at work trying to help, so we could get going. The sweat is accumulating on my forehead. My Cousin Mike and I are collecting hay for the horses. The horses look nervous with all the commotion and running. After all the equipment is ready, we take a break and have a glass of water. The water bottle looks amazing with the condensation running down the plastic bottle. I unscrew the cap off the bottle and take a big gulp of it. The cold water helps my parched throat. Before I knew it, we are packing up the horses. This is the hard part. I am in charge of getting Maggie to the trailer. She is a short fat strawberry roan. She is red with little white hairs mixed in it. My sister has to get Pumpkin, so he can load up into the trailer. We also have Spot who also needs to be loaded into the trailer. He is one of our funniest horses and easy to ride. Now we start the long journey to Winona and all the fun to get there.

The ride is going be a blast. We have the windows rolled down because the air conditioning does not work. It feels like a sauna in the truck. The wind is a major help. We all start putting on our cowboy hats. I did not want my hair to be whipping around and getting in my mouth. Everyone is packed like sardines in the back seat. I am sitting by the window, so I wouldn't get hot and carsick. We have snacks and drinks in the back to eat. We start heading out to the highway. It is going to be a five-hour drive to the campsite, so we crank up the radio to get the truck thumping. The wind is whipping and blowing all around the inside of the truck. The country music is screaming over the wind and everyone else singing along to the song. It is getting fun and crazy in the back seat. One of the songs is, "Song of the South". It is fun singing that because we are going back in time. I love hanging out with my cousin in the back seat. My Cousin Mike pops the top of the Pringle's can. We start to share the chips with everyone. I look out the window to see the scenery. The trees are in full bloom and the sweet smell of flowers is everywhere. Cars are driving so fast past us, but we are not in any hurry to get to the campsite. The trailer would sometimes pull on the truck and it just tells us that the trailer is still with us. My Uncle Kevin tells me to make sure the cooler and bucket for the horses is still in the truck. I look and tell my uncle he needs to pull over because one of the buckets is teetering off the edge of the truck. We pull over and people start to honk at us, so I get out to fix it and Uncle Kevin helps me. We are only five minutes away from the campsite. When we finally pulled into the campsite, it was time for the unloading and the exciting part of trail riding.

It is pitch black outside and the wind is howling. You can hear all the clumping of the hoofs as the horses leave the trailer. We are putting them in their stall. The stalls are open, so we can keep an eye on the horses in case the horses get out. My Aunt lissa tells me to fetch the water for the horses. I find a faucet to fill up the bucket. The freezing water splashes from the bucket on to my face. The freezing water makes my goosebumps rise. I fill one bucket full, but with the heavy bucket, I can’t lift it, so I ask my Cousin Mike to help. With the two of us to lift the bucket, we get it into Maggie’s stall. Mike and I fill the rest of the buckets. It is time to unload the storage bin in the trailer. It is packed high with the horse’s equipment and our clothes. I grab the chairs to set them up. My Uncle Kevin asks for help with the drink cooler; I say, “I am on it". I grab one end of the cooler, so we could lift it off the trailer; it weighted like a ton. I could almost lift it, but we managed to get it to the spot under the trailers hitch. My cousins are having trouble with the tent. The setup is finally over, so we sat and talked about what we would do tomorrow. I am tired, so I call it a night and so did my Uncle Kevin. The setting up is done and the trail ride will start in the morning.

The sun was shining right on my face. I feel a foot right on my chest. I follow the leg to its body. It is my cousin's foot and his foot stinks; I was glad it had a sock on it. I throw his foot off my body and then I hear a door opening. I look out the screen window and it is my Uncle Kevin. I roll out of the sleeping bag, and I crawl over all the bodies in the tent. I unzip the tent and crawl out. I stretch as I stood up. I feel great as I look at the river down the hill and listen to the birds chirping in the trees. My Uncle Kevin said morning, do you want a doughnut? Yes, I would like one because my stomach is growling like a bear. I go to check the horses and see that they need cleaning and watering. I fetch the supplies and start to clean. After everyone wakes up, we start to saddle up the horses. We place our foot in the stirrups to climb up on to these giant horses. We hit the trails off into the woods. It is going to be such fun. I could not wait to start the journey; I felt like we are going back in time. The hills are so steep that we are looking down into a chasm. The insects are buzzing around our faces. When they land on the horses flack, they sometimes give a kick. We have come to a river and it is clear as glass. It’s so hot that the water is refreshing to the hot skin. The water is so deep that we have to hold on to the horse’s tail to pull us across. Everyone is laughing and splashing as we make it across. Everyone’s’ stomach began to growl, so we raced to the campsite to eat. I am having a craving for a delicious sandwich. Once everyone is feed we took a nap before we went out again. There is nothing like camping with my cousin and we have not stopped camping and riding.

The trailing riding is strong in my family that has kept going. Even though getting everything together is hard work it is worth it. Riding horses is the best part of the camping. This is a family tradition and a thing that keeps us close. The car ride down is a blast and a fun time to cool off with the ear pounding wind. The unloading can take a long time to do, but in the end we made it here. When I am on the trails it is like I know what it was like in the old times. Every summer our family finds the time to get together and have a good fun time.
.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way your blog looks, probably because I am a big fan of horses. I haven't been on a ride in years, but I used to help a friend of mine care for her horse. I remember it being a lot of fun. They are intimidating animals at first, just because they are so big, but I love them just the same. I loved your sentence, "It is pitch black outside and the wind is howling." Its details are simple but create great imagery for your reader. My daughter, who is almost 13, is a huge lover of horses. This post has inspired me to find somewhere around here where she can take her first ride...maybe for her birthday!

    Great post and love the pic!

    ReplyDelete